Juvenile Justice Board Rejects Plea to Try Porsche Crash Teen as Adult 🚨
Prosecution’s Argument⚖️
The prosecution urged the board to treat the boy, accused of fatally running over two people while allegedly driving a Porsche under the influence, as an adult, citing the “heinous” nature of the crime.
Senior Advocate Vikas Pahwa’s View📝
Senior advocate Vikas Pahwa noted that Section 15 of the Juvenile Justice Act is grounded in the principle of reformation for children in conflict with the law. “The provision is well-intentioned and should remain, but its implementation is often casual and inconsistent,” he said.
He added, “This casual approach needs to be addressed, either by the Supreme Court or through legislative intervention by Parliament.”
Background of Section 15📜
The provision was introduced after the Nirbhaya case to balance justice and rehabilitation. Pahwa further mentioned that the Act provides a mechanism to appeal the JJB’s order and suggested Pune Police could explore this option.
Implementation Challenges🔍
“In many cases, psychological and social assessments are not conducted rigorously as per guidelines, allowing juveniles involved in heinous crimes to slip through the cracks,” Pahwa observed. He added that a more standardised implementation would uphold the law’s reformative intent.
The Incident🚗
The crash took place on May 19 last year in Pune’s Kalyani Nagar, killing IT professionals Anish Awadhiya and Ashwini Costa, who were riding a motorcycle.
Long-Pending Plea⏳
The Pune Police’s application to try the minor as an adult had been pending before the JJB for over a year. Special public prosecutor Shishir Hiray said the defence repeatedly sought adjournments, delaying the hearing.
Public Outrage and Bail Controversy😡
The case drew national outrage after the minor was initially granted lenient bail terms, including writing a 300-word essay on road safety. He was later sent to an observation home in Pune three days after the incident.
Bombay High Court’s Intervention🏛️
On June 25, 2024, the Bombay High Court ordered his immediate release, ruling that the JJB’s orders remanding him to an observation home were illegal and emphasising that the law regarding juveniles must be fully implemented.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment